- How do I get Cite While Your Write (CWYW)?
- Need to have Microsoft Word installed on your computer before you install EndNote.
- EndNote X6 is compatible with Microsoft Word 2008 and 2011.
- When you install EndNote on your computer, an EndNote submenu is automatically added to the Tools menu in Microsoft Word.
- Inserting Citations
- Open the EndNote library with the references that you wish to cite. Prior to inserting citations, we recommend that you find duplicate references within your EndNote library. To find duplicate references:
- In the Groups panel in the left column, click on All References to display all the references in your library.
- From the menu bar, select References > Find Duplicates.
- If you have duplicate references in your library, the Find Duplicates dialog box will appear. For each set of duplicates, you have the following options:
- Click Keep This Record to save the preferred reference and discard the other in the trash.
- Click Skip to leave both references in the library. The references will be placed in a temporary Duplicate References group for later review.
Find Duplicates Dialog Box on a Mac
- Open your Microsoft Word document.
- When you are ready to cite a source, position the cursor where you want to insert a citation. You can either insert a citation from within Microsoft Word or from within EndNote.
- To insert a citation from within Word:
- From the menu bar, select Tools > EndNote X6 > Find Citation(s).
- The EndNote Find & Insert My References dialog box will appear. In the text box at the top of the dialog box, enter text (author's last name, year, title, keyword) to search for the reference in your library. Click the Find button.
- In the results of your search, click on the reference that you want to cite to highlight it. To highlight multiple references, hold down the Ctrl key while you click on references.
- Once you have selected your references, click on the Insert button. The selected references will be inserted into your Word document and displayed as defined by the current Output Style.
- To insert a citation from within EndNote:
- In EndNote, highlight the references that you wish to cite. To highlight multiple references, hold down the Ctrl key while you click on references.
- Once you have selected your references, click on the Insert Citation button in the toolbar along the top. The selected references will be inserted into your Word document.
- Note: Save your Word document after inserting citations.
- How to Change Output Style in Word Document
- From the menu bar in Microsoft Word, select Tools > EndNote X6 > Bibliography Settings.... The Format Bibliography dialog box will appear.
- Select the Format Bibliography tab. If you have multiple Word documents open, make sure that the proper document is selected from the Format document drop-down menu.
- Choose your desired style from the With output style drop-down menu. If a style does not appear in the drop-down menu, click on the Browse button to find another style.
- Click OK.
Format Bibliography Dialog Box
Back to Top