Voter Resources and General Election Information
- Voting & Elections (USA.gov) Answers to common questions about voting in the US (from how to register to vote to how the electoral college works in presidential elections).
- Resources for Voters (US Election Assistance Commission) A central resource for election information with FAQs, voter registration links, election calendars, voter's guides in many languages, etc.
(See also the "Campaign Finance and Law" page of this webguide as well as other links on this page.)
- Vote Smart a non-partisan, non-profit that gathers and publishes data on political parties and candidates in the US. Includes biographical information on candidates, voting records, issue positions, interest group ratings, public statements, and campaign finances.
- On the Issues: Every Political Leader on Every Issue American non-profit providing non-partisan information for voters on candidates based on the issues.
Political Fact Checking Websites
- Factcheck.org (Annenberg Public Policy Center, U Penn) A nonpartisan organization, that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. It monitors the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases.
- Politifact fact-checking website, run by the Tampa Bay Times, that rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials and others who speak up in American politics.
Voter Education and Election Reform Organizations
- League of Women Voters nonpartisan political organization founded in 1920 to impact national, state, and local issues and legislation through grassroots organization.
- FairVote as a reform catalyst, develops and promotes practical strategies to improve elections at the local, state, and national levels.
- Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) established in 1987 to ensure that debates, as a permanent part of every general election, provide the best possible information to viewers and listeners. Includes historical information and transcripts.