Land Grants and Water Issues in New Mexico

Some helpful data

Other sources for land grant and water research:
Government  Information Division (GID) - UNM Library has a government document repository for federal, regional and state material. Some will refer to land and water issues. Search for government information via Worldcat from the University Libraries homepage. Call or ask for assistance with these collections at Zimmerman’s main reference desk on the first floor.
The Law Library at the New Mexico Law School, UNM, also holds land and water information. The UNM Law Library Reference Desk can direct patrons in basic legal research, including use of the:
-U.S. Serial Set full text database (1830- present) - for reports about Congressional interaction with NM. (The Serial Set is also available via the UNM University Libraries, Government Information page), and the
-U.S. Supreme Court Records and Briefs database (1832-1978) - for NM land grant cases appealed from the Court of Private Land Claims decisions to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Southwest Hispanic Research Institute (SHRI) - Land Grant Studies Program - promotes the study of NM land grants, directs student research and mapping projects, organizes land grant workshops, provides basic assistance and direction to researchers. For more information:, 277-2965.


Office of the New Mexico State Historian -  website provides background on some NM land grants and other historical topics and selected images, includes some scanned pages of Land Records of NM (original land grant documents, aka SANM I) and some pages from the J.J. Bowden studies on land grants.

Center for Land Grant Studies - Malcolm Ebright - his website provides background information about land grants and related issues


Here is contact information for some local land grant council leaders: 

New Mexico Land Grant Council - Juan Sanchez, President, P.O. Box 2380, Tijeras, NM 87059 - 505-249-6759

or Arturo Archuleta - - 505-328-4104.

The New Mexico Land Grant Council sponsors meetings of affiliated local land grant councils. Although not a reference service, Mr. Sanchez or Archuleta can provide contact information for state land grant councils.