Last Updated: Dec 3, 2013
Reference Tools - Maps, Atlas, & Gazetteers
Return to the Reference Tools page.
- Digital Sanborn Maps 1867-1970 - UNM only
Digital access to the towns and cities in New Mexico mapped by the Sanborn Fire Insurance Company. Dates and coverage varies for each place, ranging from the late 1800's to about 1960. Sanborn maps are valuable historical tools for anyone who wants to learn about the history, growth, and development of New Mexico cities, towns, and neighborhoods. Full-text in the way of maps available. UNM only.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
The Thesaurus is "structured vocabulary containing around 1,000,000 names and other information about places. ... includes all continents and nations of the modern political world, as well as historical places."
- Historical Maps of the United States (from the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection)
Digital historic maps of the United States.
- Map and Geographic Information Center - at Centennial Science and Engineering Library
A guide to maps and other geographic resources available in the UNM library and the Web. This UL Library Guide is complied by Mary Wyant, Map Librarian.
- Modern Language Association Language Map
"The MLA Language Map uses data from the US Census 2000 to display the locations and numbers of speakers of thirty languages and three groups of less commonly spoken languages in the United States."
- National Atlas
Atlas of the United States, from the United States Department of the Interior.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
A general collection of more than 250,000 maps covering all areas of the world.
- US Gazetteer from the US Census Bureau
Used to identify geographic places in the US.